- As lockdown measures ease it is important to remember that it is still the case that anyone can catch coronavirus (Covid-19) and anyone can spread it.
We still need to adhere guidance to keep a safe distance, regularly wash hands, wear masks in enclosed spaces, and self-isolate and book a test if you have symptoms (new persistent cough, fever, loss of smell/taste). You can currently be tested at Stratford Park in a mobile test centre – but need to book via http://NHS.uk/coronavirus
- Schools were the focus for discussion in a public meeting on Zoom, hosted by SCCR ‘What’s next for Stroud schools?’ – recording and notes as well as ongoing conversation will be available in the coming days https://www.facebook.com/events/251261276321717/
Requests, Offers and Updates posted in our Facebook group
- Hannah Basson shared this campaign from Doctors in Unite: “NHS and social workers, please sign our letter urging the government to clarify its ongoing covid-19 strategy and to bring in stringent measures to prevent further covid deaths.”
- Jenny Smith shared an event hosted by Stroud Greens: Cloud Cafe 24th June at 19:30. #BuildBackBetter 2 – This time it’s local…* Book: https://bit.ly/BuidBackBetter2 Join Will Mansell – Foodbank founder | Martin Large – Stroud Commonwealth | Rebecca Trevalyan – @libraryofthings | William Frazer – @NFUtweets – All welcome! 🙂
- Norman Downer wanted to know if there is any guidance on travelling in a campervan with a non-family passenger. The government guidance on travelling in private vehicles is here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-travel-guidance-for-passengers#private-cars-and-other-vehicles
- Sylvia May wanted to know about recycling particularly for crisp and biscuit packaging. Lots of suggestions have been given on this lively thread https://www.facebook.com/groups/stroudcorona/permalink/293777488476679/
- Ella Margoliese wonders if the group is suitable for people who are shielding – the answer a most definite yes! https://www.facebook.com/groups/stroudcorona/permalink/294075678446860/
- Offers of masks continue to come in – a reminder that we have a page all about masks and where to get some, on our website https://neighbournetworks.uk/masks
- We now have 4,377 members with 21 joined in the last week! We’ve dealt with 261 posts in the last month. Please invite your friends to grow this community. And please do introduce yourself and let us know anything you’d like to see in the group related to coronavirus and how we can work together to get through the pandemic and its impacts.
- Please take a look at the Group Purpose and Guidelines if you haven’t read them recently.
Summary of key local, national and international news
We are now providing our main summary of local, national and international statistical data on a weekly basis rather than daily
- Postponed hospital treatments and operations are restored, while services remain prepared for a second spike https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/planned-operations-cancer-treatments-now-4251475
- As of June 20 there were no new cases of Covid-19 or deaths reported for Gloucestershire (since 18th June). https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/no-new-coronavirurs-deaths-cases-4248150
- The drive through testing unit is open at Stratford Park Stroud until Tues 23 June https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/18533676.drive-through-coronavirus-testing-unit-stroud-today/ – Book a test via: orlo.uk/book_test_kIJQN
- The 2.2 million people who have been self-isolating in England during the pandemic will no longer need to shield from 1 August. From 6 July, they will be able to meet up outdoors, in a group, with up to five others and form ‘support bubbles’ with other households.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53071430
- Children are developing serious mental health conditions, including post-traumatic stress, because of the coronavirus pandemic, The Childhood Trust has warned. In a report, the charity says disadvantage is leaving children extremely vulnerable. As well as anxiety about their loved ones’ health, many children are facing social isolation and hunger. Lack of internet access is also setting disadvantaged children back. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53097289
- For a full international roundup, see the Reuters Coronavirus page, or The Guardian’s “summary of the biggest developments in the global coronavirus outbreak”. For updates on confirmed cases, and deaths, we recommend the Financial Times’ “Coronavirus tracked: the latest figures as countries fight to contain the pandemic” webpage – which is updated daily.
Please remember we have a (growing) list of resources to support your emotional and mental health during this time on our website. The following numbers may be useful:
- Samaritans: 116 123
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 0808 2000 247
- Mind: 0300 123 3393
- Age UK: 0800 169 6565
- Childline: 0800 1111.
- NHS 111
Thanks to everyone who helped create this update through our Facebook group. If you submit posts, we will often decline posting them to the discussion directly and instead hold them till the single daily summary – to try to reduce the number of posts in the feed and make it easier for people to follow the information. Please continue to submit posts to admins for this purpose with the appropriate flag: one of REQUEST / OFFER / UPDATE / QUESTION / COMMENTARY.