Today’s update includes:
- Requests & Offers from the Stroud Coronavirus Community Response team & beyond
- Summary of key local, national and international new
Requests, Offers and Updates
- Stroud District Council have asked us to share our rainbow images and be part of history for future generations 🌈 –
- Stroud Chamber of Trade has put together a brief video on businesses reopening “when the time is right and they have had the opportunity to increase safety measures for their visitors. The video explains how to shop safer in town, what signage to look out for, and how you can be safer whilst protecting those around you”
- Lisa Jane Taylor shared the interim document prepared by the independent SAGE on the reopening of schools
- Megan Sheer and her team updated us on the Uplands area: the group have delivered 19 boxes with crafts and activities to Uplands school – one for every child receiving free school meals. This was paid for by some of our share of the District Council’s Covid-19 relief fund. Great work Megan 💕
- Sarah Dixon and Stroud District Council both shared that two more recycling centres are opening shortly. Pyle Quarry is one, but you have to prebook a slot.
- Alex Hobbis shared that Good On Paper returns celebrating all the amazing projects and support groups which have been working in the last few weeks across the Stroud District in a Subscriber Special edition (…including this group!)
- Nell Benney shared that they are selling fruit and veggie plants and seedlings, even trees and fresh salad at Rosie and Nells, open tomorrow!
- Di Foxley asked for suggestions for protective masks to buy her 85 year old friend who is desperate to get back out after her 12 wk isolation and believes a cloth mask will protect her. Lots of great ideas came back
- The admins wonder… Have you visited our website (neighbournetworks.uk) this week? If you have – can you tell us what was most useful to you, or what was missing but you’d like us to add? If you haven’t visited the website – could you tell us in the comments why not? (eg, that you didn’t know we had a website, or have visited before and didn’t find it useful?)
- Every day volunteers from the Stroud Coronavirus Updates team summarise the posts in this Facebook group together with a roundup of local, national and international news. Please share these updates – and let us know if you’d like to receive these by email (we’re currently exploring which system to use, recommendations welcome!)
- We now have 4,325 members. We welcomed 22 new members this week. We’ve had 1,008 posts in the last month – 9 today. Please invite your friends to grow this community. And please do introduce yourself and let us know anything you’d like to see in the group related to coronavirus and how we can work together to get through the pandemic and its impacts.
- Please take a look at the Group Purpose and Guidelines if you haven’t read them recently.
Summary of key local, national and international news
We are now providing our summary of local, national and international statistical data on a weekly basis rather than daily
- Police have asked people not to go to Coopers Hill (for Cheeserolling) this weekend and to ‘find other ways of enjoying the Bank Holiday’.
- Stroud MP Siobhan Baillie gives birth to baby girl: “The baby girl was born a healthy 8lbs 9oz at the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital after a late night transfer from Stroud Maternity Hospital. Siobhan said: ‘We are bowled over by love for our daughter. I can’t stop staring at her and I’m chuffed to bits to be a new mum. We want to thank the amazing Stroud Maternity and Gloucestershire Royal teams. They were the perfect people to support us through the birth and at this special time.”
- Ruskin Mill Trust awarded £500 grant from Tesco Covid-19 Fund, they’ve stayed open to look after their vulnerable young learners with complex needs during lockdown
- Tens of thousands of coronavirus tests have been double counted, officials admit: “The Department of Health and Social Care and Public Health England each confirmed the double-counting. This inflates the daily reported diagnostic test numbers by over 20 per cent, with that proportion being much higher earlier on in the crisis before home test kits were added to the daily totals. Almost 350,000 more tests have been reported in Government data than people tested since the start of the pandemic.” (Telegraph Exclusive)
- New measures to be introduced at the UK border to prevent a second wave of infections, home secretary says. Compulsory quarantine for travellers to the UK to be enforced by spot checks and £1,000 fine (Gov.uk)
- Trump demands churches, synagogues and mosques reopen ‘right now’. “President threatens to override governors if they don’t comply.”
- “spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said Yemen was “really on the brink right now”, with teams on the ground “talking about having to turn people away because they do not have enough oxygen, they do not have enough Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)”. He warned that the numbers of infections being reported were worrying, but the UN is now “working on the assumption that there is widespread communal transmission going on”.” (UN news)
- “The leader of New Zealand’s main opposition party has been ousted after opinion polls showed Jacinda Ardern’s soaring popularity. Around 84% of New Zealanders approve of the prime minister’s handling of the coronavirus crisis, which has helped to boost her ratings ahead of a general election in September.”
Please remember we have a (growing) list of resources to support your emotional and mental health during this time on our website. The following numbers may be useful:
- Samaritans: 116 123
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 0808 2000 247
- Mind: 0300 123 3393
- Age UK: 0800 169 6565
- Childline: 0800 1111.
Thanks to everyone who helped create this update through our Facebook group. If you submit posts, we will often decline posting them to the discussion directly and instead hold them till the single daily summary – to try to reduce the number of posts in the feed and make it easier for people to follow the information. Please continue to submit posts to admins for this purpose with a flag REQUEST / OFFER / UPDATE / QUESTION