Today’s update includes:
- Requests and Offers from the Stroud Coronavirus Community Response team and beyond
- Summary of local news
- Key national/international points
Requests and Offers from the Stroud Coronavirus Community Response team and beyond
- As well as our Local Business Directory we now have a Local Services Directory! If you have services (particularly emergency maintenance/repair folk like plumbers/gas engineers etc), please complete our questionnaire.
- a reminder to please use our OFFER/REQUEST/IMPORTANT UPDATE/QUESTION system when submitting posts to our Facebook Group. it makes moderating much easier if people use this
- Please support Sew Scrubs for NHS Gloucestershire and The Sewing Shed in Stroud. If you can sew, please get in contact. https://www.gofundme.com/f/sew-scrubs-for-nhs-gloucestershire and https://www.facebook.com/sewingshedstroud/. Doctors and nurses need scrubs (and then bags to contain them before washing) for hospital and then need to change into clean scrubs to go home in. These go straight in the wash at 60 degrees
- If you would like to offer or receive (or both) some talking/listening time please join the Stroud Co-listening in Coronavirus Times Facebook group and introduce yourself and what you’d like to offer and/or receive www.facebook.com/groups/633787307180713/
- If you have an annexe or liveable summer house you can offer or you need to move (to keep someone/yourself safe) please join the Stroud housing offers and requests Facebook group www.facebook.com/groups/706176176586783/
- Stay Connected is a free helpline for anyone worried about themselves or someone else who is in self-isolation or needs support at this time. www.guideposts.org.uk/stay-connected
- At least 800 young people in Gloucestershire are homeless and Coronavirus could make problem worse www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/more-800-young-people-gloucestershire-4008103
- 258 people have now tested positive for coronavirus in Gloucestershire. Public Health England has confirmed 34 new cases of the virus in the county in the last 24 hours. The true figure will be much higher. The Government has come under increasing pressure to carry out more coronavirus tests. www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/18359290.258-people-now-tested-positive-coronavirus-gloucestershire/
- The total number of confirmed deaths of people who tested positive for coronavirus in hospitals in England has risen to 4,494, NHS England said, up by 555 on the previous day’s update.
- The patients were aged between 33 years and 103 years old, with 29 of the 555, aged between 35 and 95 years old, having no known underlying health condition.
- NHS England gave the breakdown by region of the 555 deaths of patients with Covid-19 as:
– East of England 40– London 174– Midlands 74– North East & Yorkshire 103– North West 47– South East 81– South West 36
- A total of 4,934 patients have died in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus in the whole of the UK as of 5pm on Saturday, the Department of Health said, up by 621 from 4,313 the day before.
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock tells UK it is “mission critical” that people follow the government’s rules. Those flouting distancing guidance are told: “You are risking your own life and the lives of others.”
- The number of new people tested daily in the UK for coronavirus returned to above 10,000, according to Department of Health figures. A total of 12,334 new people were reported as being tested in the 24 hours up until 9am today.
- Health secretary Matt Hancock said he could not provide an exact figure on how many more ventilators the NHS could have in place over the next week in the daily press conference but earlier this morning he told Andrew Marr that “there should be another 1,500” in a week’s time.
- The Queen will thank NHS staff and key workers later today in a rare televised address
- Nearly 400 home care groups ‘have no protection’ Of 481 providers, 381 – 80% – said they did not have enough PPE to be able to support older and vulnerable people. www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52174520
- Worldwide cases pass 1.2m, at least 65,000 people have died and 252,000 recovered
- Spain sees another decline in daily deaths, with 674 reported on Sunday, a fall of 135 from Saturday. Italy also sees a decrease
- Singapore sees its highest daily jump in cases; government quarantines large numbers of foreign workers
- President Trump warns Americans to prepare for “the toughest week” with “a lot of death, unfortunately”. The US has more than 312,000 confirmed cases, the highest of any country
- Ethiopia and Barbados have reported their first coronavirus deaths.(the Guardian summary)
- Pakistan has quarantined 20,000 worshippers and is looking for tens of thousands of others who attended a religious event in Lahore in March despite the pandemic.
- Sweden prepares to take ‘extraordinary steps’
- The government is drawing up legislation to allow it to take “extraordinary steps” to tackle Covid-19, following concern that its relatively soft approach may be resulting in a higher death rate than in other Nordic countries. On Sunday Sweden reported a total of 401 deaths – an 8% increase from Saturday. Sweden’s toll per million inhabitants is 37, compared with 28 in Denmark, 12 in Norway and 4.5 in Finland. www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/coronavirus-latest-at-a-glance-5-april
Please remember we have a (growing) list of resources to support your emotional and mental health during this time on our website.If you submit posts, we will often decline posting them to the discussion directly and instead hold them till the single daily summary – to try to reduce the number of posts in the feed and make it easier for people to manage the volume of information. Please continue to submit posts to admins for this purpose.Apologies if we missed anything-please submit again or post in the comments below.