Today’s update includes:
- Requests and Offers from the Stroud Coronavirus Community Response team and beyond
- Summary of local news
- Key national/international points
Requests and Offers from the Stroud Coronavirus Community Response team and beyond
- As well as our Local Business Directory we now have a Local Services Directory!
- This is a difficult time financially for many people, particularly self-employed people offering services. Do support local people in our community when you can.
- If you have services to add, please complete our questionnaire.
- We’re supporting another #LightUpOurValleys (and Vale) event… and we have a question for you! If we shine a light to stay connected… Here’s a poll to decide what we should sing! We’ll add more options if things people suggest in the comments are popular enough… but need to decide quickly in time for the event at 9pm Saturday night. Facebook event with details and which you can share/invite friends at: www.facebook.com/events/324475141847878/
- We now have 3,950 members in our Facebook group. We posted a reminder to please use our OFFER/REQUEST/IMPORTANT UPDATE/QUESTION system when submitting posts to our Facebook Group. We’ve dealt with around 2,000 posts in the past few weeks, and it makes moderating much easier if people use this
- 5 more deaths have been recorded by today – 24 people have now died in the county’s hospitals. The real figure is likely to be higher than 24 because it does not include those who have died at home or in care home settings. www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/five-more-covid-19-deaths-4017733
- In Gloucestershire the number of confirmed cases has risen from 208 to 224 on Friday (same article)
- Prices for paracetamol, hand sanitiser, toilet roll and even vegetables shot up in Gloucestershire at the end of March www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/11-eye-watering-price-rises-4017947
- University of Gloucester student nurses will join the front line sooner than expected in response to the coronavirus crisis. Https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/health/university-gloucestershire-student-nurses-step-4016285
- This weekend! Good on Paper hosting weekly DJ sessions with Sound Records Sessions – Stay Strong Stroud pt.III – Dubbu tomorrow… Head over to their YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNtIhA_XbxSkgzdKPkNeeiQ) at 8pm
- Listen to an interview by Amplify Stroud with Rodborough Community Mutual Network – a knowledge sharing resource for other groups. In order to develop ideas for their own structures and practices and how to build networks within their own communities. www.facebook.com/RodboroughCommunity/ www.neighbournetworks.uk/info-and-support/rodborough/
- Please support Sew Scrubs for NHS Gloucestershire. If you can sew, you can join us in sewing scrubs or help find the materials. https://www.gofundme.com/f/sew-scrubs-for-nhs-gloucestershire
- Stay Connected is a free helpline for anyone worried about themselves or someone else who is in self-isolation or needs support at this time. www.guideposts.org.uk/stay-connected
- All summer gigs have been cancelled at Westonbirt this summer. A host of music stars were set to perform. www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/18356263.summer-gigs-westonbirt-arboretum-cancelled/
- 3D printers from Snow Business in Stroud are making parts for NHS face masks www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/18354288.stroud-snow-firm-uses-hi-tech-help-nhs/
- A new NHS hospital is being built in Bristol – at UWE – with up to 1,000 beds for COVID-19 patients. www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/18355615.coronavirus-hospital-built-bristol/. And www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/regional-news/university-campus-converted-hospital-bristol-4015987
- Cheltenham-based kebab restaurant to offer 30,000 free meals to NHS staff and vulnerable people www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/cheltenham-based-kebab-restaurant-offer-401165
If you are a key worker and your children can’t be safely looked after at home, maybe Seasons or the Co-op childcare can help. Seasons: 01453 767004 or email firstname.lastname@example.org www.seasonsnursery.co.uk or Info@ccc.coop or 0800 954 0669
- It is confirmed that 684 more people have died in UK hospitals, bringing the total to 3,605 and making the 24 hours to 5pm on Thursday (BST) the deadliest since the outbreak began.
- The country’s Department of Health and Social Care says 173,784 people have been tested; of whom 38,168 were positive.
- UK government says stay at home when weather turns warm. It’s ‘not a request’, UK told www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52155430
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock calls for medical trial volunteers
- Known global death toll passes 55,000. At least 55,781 people across the world have now died as a result of the pandemic, according to researchers at Johns Hopkins University. The number of confirmed cases passed a million on Thursday and at least 1,056,777 people are now known to have been infected. The true scale of the outbreak is likely to be greater due to suspected underreporting by some nations. www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/03/coronavirus-latest-at-a-glance-3-april
- More than 250,000 EU citizens stranded abroad. Some 350,000 have been repatriated but that still leaves a quarter of a million EU citizens trying to get home.
- New York sees highest increase in deaths in a single day
- WHO chief warns that rushing to lift restrictions could prolong the crisis
- US Navy ship in New York with 1,000 bed capacity has only 20 patients
- White House is expected to advise Americans to wear masks
- The Queen will address the nation in a broadcast on Sunday night
- Nearly 53,000 people have died and more than 210,000 have recovered
Please remember we have a (growing) list of resources to support your emotional and mental health during this time. If you submit posts, we will often decline posting them to the discussion directly and instead hold them till the single daily summary – to try to reduce the number of posts in the feed and make it easier for people to manage the volume of information. Please continue to submit posts to admins for this purpose.Apologies if we missed anything-please submit again or post in the comments below